Wednesday, October 9, 2013

More Wacky Signs

     I hope you enjoyed my last collection of unusual signs. However, as I continue to digitalise my old slides, I continue to find new signs to include, so I have decided to make a new collection. As before, this post will be up-dated at irregular intervals until it is sufficiently large to be closed, and a new collection started.

Fremantle, Western Australia, 1998
This one is not, strictly speaking, a sign,but rather a graffito. But it's a clever one.
Singapore Zoo, 1984

It would never have occurred to me to climb into a Siberian tiger enclosure, but you should never underestimate the stupidity of tourists.
Gibbon enclosure, Singapore Zoo, 1984
Gunshot Creek, Cape York, QLD 1986
Cane Toad Creek, Cape York, QLD 1986
Thursday Island, QLD, 1986
Pine Creek service station,
Northern Territory, 1987
Goma, Zaire (now D. R. Congo) 1990
Jardine River Ferry, Cape York, QLD 1986
How times change! Since I visited Goma, it has been overwhelmed by refugees from the eruption of Mt. Nyiragongo, and from the civil war. I doubt if this shop still exists.

Cameroon, 1990
Bauchi, Nigeria, 1990
Kano, Nigeria, 1990
"Native doctor" is the official term for witchdoctor.  I'm sorry I didn't visit this fellow. I could have done with some help regarding promotion and love charms, not to mention "dhyerhea".
Lomé, Togo, 1990

You saw this sort of thing at hairdresser's shops all over Africa. It is a clever way for the customer to indicate his or her style.